How to Start
The secret to getting ahead is getting started. — Mark Twain
Don't miss anything big
The GMs Index is a master checklist for projects, plans and budgets. It'll keep you from an embarrassing omission. Click through each Level so make sure you're thought of everything.
Save 1,000 emails
Meetings don’t have to be unstructured free-for-alls. The five steps below will save you from wasting time, frustrating your colleagues and making mistakes. Two hours of thinking will save a hundred hours of meetings and a thousand emails.
Prepare in five steps
These steps will let you get departments focused, no matter what their style. There are rewards to getting out front on a decision.
- Define the decision in less than 100 words
- Check the Sectors page for what's unique to you
- Check the Decisions page for ideas on complex decisions
- See The GMs Index for relevant practices and resources
- Decide who should participate
Discuss 5 questions with your team
The first meeting is not to decide, it’s to prepare everyone’s minds. While this might feel unproductive at first, bringing the decision into focus can make the answer obvious.
- Is the question right?
- Are these the most relevant terms and practices?
- Do we define these terms in the same way?
- Where do we disagree with the resources?
- What other facts do we need?
Some decisions are bigger than others
To make decisions, use start with the Question Map from The GMs Toolkit and perhaps the Cost/Benefit Analysis. To implement the decision, use the 1-Page Project Planner and the Projects Summary. Only members have access to the tools themselves. Information